By Mark E. Garrett
Viewing transportation in the course of the lens of current social, monetary, and coverage points, this four-volume reference paintings explores the subject of transportation throughout a number of disciplines in the social sciences and comparable parts, together with geography, public coverage, company, and economics.
The book’s articles, all written by way of specialists within the box, search to respond to such questions as: What has been the legacy, not only economically yet politically and socially in addition, of President Eisenhower’s sleek interstate street method in the USA? With that procedure and the infrastructure that helps it now in a country of decline and rot, what’s the easiest course for the longer term at a time of large monetary constraints? Should California politicians plunge forward with plans for a high-speed rail that each specialist says—despite the allure—will move principally unused and should by no means pay again the large funding whereas at this very second potholes cross unfilled all around the country? What direction is healthier for rising international locations to maintain speed with dramatic financial development for his or her half? What are the social and monetary expenditures of gridlock in our towns?
- Approximately 675 signed articles authored through favorite students are prepared in A-to-Z model and finish with extra Readings and move references.
- A Chronology helps readers positioned person occasions into historic context; a Reader’s consultant organizes entries by means of huge topical or thematic parts; an in depth index is helping clients fast find entries of so much quick curiosity; and a source consultant presents a listing of journals, books, and institutions and their web content.
- While articles have been written to prevent jargon up to attainable, a Glossary offers speedy definitions of technical phrases.
- To make sure complete, well-rounded insurance of the sphere, the final Editor with services in city making plans, public coverage, and the surroundings labored along a Consulting Editor with a historical past in Civil Engineering.
- The index, Reader’s advisor, and go references mix for thorough search-and-browse features within the digital variation.
Available in either print and digital codecs, Encyclopedia of Transportation is an excellent reference for libraries and people who are looking to discover the problems that encompass transportation within the usa and round the world.
Read or Download Encyclopedia of Transportation: Social Science and Policy PDF
Best social sciences reference books
The International Encyclopedia of fellows and Masculinities deals a complete consultant to the present kingdom of scholarship approximately males, masculinities, and gender worldwide. The Encyclopedia's insurance is entire throughout 3 dimensions: parts of private and social lifestyles, educational disciplines, and cultural and ancient contexts and formations.
Tavistock Press used to be demonstrated as a co-operative enterprise among the Tavistock Institute and Routledge & Kegan Paul (RKP) within the Fifties to supply a chain of significant contributions around the social sciences. This quantity is a part of a 2001 reissue of a variety of these vital works that have considering that long past out of print, or are tricky to find.
Tavistock Press was once proven as a co-operative enterprise among the Tavistock Institute and Routledge & Kegan Paul (RKP) within the Fifties to supply a sequence of significant contributions around the social sciences. This quantity is a part of a 2001 reissue of a variety of these very important works that have considering the fact that long past out of print, or are tricky to find.
Latinos are the quickest transforming into inhabitants in the United States this day. This two-volume encyclopedia lines the historical past of Latinos within the usa from colonial occasions to the current, concentrating on their impression at the state in its old improvement and present tradition. "Latino historical past and tradition" covers the myriad ethnic teams that make up the Latino inhabitants.
- Keys to Behavior-Based Safety
- Practitioner-Based Research: Power, Discourse and Transformation
- India's Changing Villages: Volume 6 (International Library of Sociology)
- Forklift Safety: A Practical Guide to Preventing Powered Industrial Truck Incidents and Injuries
- Dialysing for Life: The Development of the Artificial Kidney
Additional resources for Encyclopedia of Transportation: Social Science and Policy
Encyclopedia of Transportation: Social Science and Policy by Mark E. Garrett